Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Very Important Sandwich


I came home from the cinema just now and opened the fridge to see what there was to snack on, and I had to smile at the contents that lay before me. It reminded me of one night one when I was eight or so, and I was sleeping over in my neighbour Rory's house. I remember the smell of that house vividly, like it was mildly lingering with the smell of old people- namely Mrs Healy who used to live there before Rory. But it wasn't just that, there was the smell of freshly cooked roast, tea that had been left on the stove for too long, and a faint smell of mud-my mind puts this down to football gear, but if you asked me now I couldn't tell you what mud smells like. In any case, I really liked that smell and had some great times in that house.
This was one of those, minor in nature but one I'll never forget. His mum Anne had made us sandwiches, with INCREDIBLY fresh white bread, white cheddar and crisp iceberg lettuce served with a tall glass of milk. That's it. It was the nicest sandwich I've ever had in my life. It may not have been the first time I had white cheddar, but it was the first time I noticed it. Sandwiches in our house were always consisting of 'everything please' which meant lettuce, cucumber, tomato, ham, cheese, scallions, mayo; pretty much everything sandwichable in the fridge at once.
I was perplexed how a sandwich with fewer ingredients could be so much nicer. Surely the more nice things on a sandwich, the better it would taste? It was the first of many reminders in my life that more often than not, less is definitely more. Focus on making quality over quantity, and it will be remembered all the more for it.

I can't say it's completely sunk in yet, as I still make mad dashes and doodles to keep my presence on the internet alive, but I am learning to hold back and only post the good stuff (mostly). So if it seems like I have been a ghost here lately, it's because I'm channelling all my energy into Cosmo, and I know (and hope you agree) that the end result will speak for itself and justify my relative absence from deviantart, the world of comics and the internet as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment